Thursday, September 25, 2008

ssh'ing to a GNU/Linux machine from WindowsXP

I frequently SSH to a GNU/Linux ( Fedora Core 7 ) machine from a WindowsXP system. I have Xming to import remote display to local system, while I use putty to SSH to the Linux system. Since some days I was facing this strange problem. I could ssh to the linux system fine but could not import the display while launching any gui on the remote system. I got the following error

_X11TransSocketINETConnect() can't get address for localhost:6010: Name or service not known
Display localhost:10.0 unavailable, simulating -nw


It turns out that this was occuring because of a corrupt /etc/hosts file on the Linux system. In fact the /etc/hosts file read as below:

::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6


God only knows why that was the case. Anyways I fixed the /etc/hosts file to read as below:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

And wallah it worked fine as before !

I googled for a solution and found on this page. This post did the trick for me. Thanks tomrosenfeld :D

No comments: